Jan 24, 2013

the sun will come out tomorrow

It's hard to believe, but in less than 24 hours I will be driving to O'Hare with my best friend Kaitlan and Aubrie.
I woke up this morning feeling nauseous with stress and uncertainty, but as the day has progressed my nerves are (sort of) being calmed. It also helped when I weighed my duffle bag and it weighed only 35 pounds!  
But, Africa.
Hakuna matata means no worries. 
I should start embracing that philosophy before I leave.  
Tonight I am baking cookies because rumor has it they are kind of gross in Kenya.
Tomorrow will be the longest travel day in my life up to this point.  Last time I traveled it took me 3 flights, 2 vehicles, 5 cities, and 19 hours to arrive in St. Mary, Montana.  This time I am driving 4 hours to the airport, boarding a 10 hour flight for Istanbul, Turkey, then boarding another 5 hour flight for Nairobi , Kenya, and finally a 30 minute drive to my new home on the Athi River.  Keep me, my sanity, and my fellow travelers in your prayers? 

The past week has been full of goodbyes and it's been rough.  My brother got home from school and I tackled him with a massive hug and trying to get him out of school tomorrow so he can come to Chicago with me (I'm also trying to win brownie points so he'll let me borrow his ipod for the trip).  We've become closer in the last month while I've been living at home and I don't want to let him go.  Moving has never been a thing that's difficult or scary for me.  Moving into college was one of the best feelings--freedom finally.  Then moving out west this summer to the middle of nowhere was the best experience in my life (up to this point).  Each move I learned something new about myself, good and bad.  This time it's a little different.  First, I'm moving to another country. Second, I'm moving with a group of people and travelling with them.  I've never done either in my life and I honestly don't know what to expect-- except for lots and LOTS of pictures. 

Here are some pictures from my last days in this snowy state:



Next time I post on this blog I'll be writing from another time zone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment